Bulleid ‘Battle of Britain’ class 4-6-2 No. 34079 ‘141 Squadron’, at Barnstaple Junction 20/04/1960
Light Pacific no.34064, Battle of Britain class “Fighter Command” on the bridge over the River Taw 20/04/1960
Bulleid ‘Battle of Britain’ class 4-6-2 34065 Hurricane & Bulleid ‘Battle of Britain’ class 4-6-2 no.34075 ‘264 Squadron climbing the gradient between Ilfracombe & Morthoe.
As a precaution, 34064 Fighter Command was also moved to Nine Elms to be prepared as the stand-by engine for the Winston Churchill funeral train on 30-1-65 On the day in question she was sent to Staines, though fortunately there was no need to fall back on this precaution.
On 20 July 1874 a railway link was opened between Barnstaple and Ilfracombe. The line was originally laid as a single-track light railway, which restricted the type of trains that could use it. Popularity led to expansion, and much of the line was converted to double track between 1889 and 1891.